[PD] Pduino and arudino mini pro/raspi debian- Pduino or Comport?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 21 19:47:14 CEST 2015

On 09/21/2015 05:17 PM, Pagano, Patrick wrote:
> ?i sent that message to it ]devicename /dev/ttyS1/S0 and it does not exist so i tried to create it with mknod and it created the names in /dev but they are not accessible.

mknod? this sounds like you are following advice from the 1990s.
these days mknod is hardly ever needed: instead any devicefiles will be
created on the fly by the resp. drivers.

> selecting device in the toggles in the pduino stuff only finds device 0
>
> I am wondering if it's a linux issue because the only serial port at all is
>
> serial 0 /dev/ttyAMA0

a little bit of googling hints that /dev/ttyAMA0 is indeed the name for
the serial interface on the GPIO ports - which afaiu is what you want.

so you just use that device.

then you need to get the permissions correct.
check whether the device is already setup to allow group-members to
write to it, and which group that is:
$ ls -l /dev/ttyAMA0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 67 Sep  3 16:12 /dev/ttyAMA0

and eventually add the user running Pd to that group:
pd at raspbian $ sudo bash
root at raspbian # adduser pd dialout

after that you only need to re-login as that user to let the new group
membership have any effect.

gadsr
IOhannes