[PD] How does vline~ work under the hood?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 18:01:28 CEST 2015

What I mean is that both [line~] and [vline~] receive their messages on block boundaries.But unlike [line~], [vline~] can start/end ramps and jump to the values you give it without beinglimited by block boundaries.
Another example with my day-long block sizes:
At noon on Monday you send a bang to [metro 150]--[tgl]--[vline~].  You'll haveto wait until noon Tuesday to hear the result, but you _will_ hear that same pattern of ones andzeros spaced 150ms apart that you were sending on Monday, even though the block size lasts aday.  That's the strength of [vline~].

On the other hand, the [line~] object would just take the last [tgl] value it received on Monday(before it begins computing Tuesday's block), and it would just repeat that value the entire day of Tuesday.  If you had sent it a ramp time, you would get your ramp Tuesday, but it would necessarilystretch across the entire day of Tuesday because that is the block size.
Essentially-- you can't send a message that would interrupt the [vline~] object's perform routineand feed it new values.  But because block sizes are usually small, I can't think of asituation where you'd need to do that.
It occurs to me I could be wrong about any or all of this.  If so I'm certain Matt or Miller can setme straight.
-Jonathan

-Jonathan