[PD] Pd 0.52 test 2 is out

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Tue Nov 23 18:56:50 CET 2021

Hey,

On 23.11.2021 18:06, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Ok, as the first email to the list about it, here are some thoughts
> for starters :)
>
> - Now connections get grayed out when making new connections. Haven't
> really gotten used to it, what's everyone else idea on this? Can we
> make this an optional feature to check/activate somewhere and leave
> the default as it were?
Personally, I quite like it. Yes, it is a bit unsettling in the
beginning, but I think it's one of those things that you get accustomed
to very quickly.

> *_Related to atoms/list boxes:_*
>
> - The shortcut for symbol box (cmd+4) is gone, it now load the list
> box instead, no shortcut is given for symbol and the next shortcut
> (cmd+5) is for comments as before. Why not have list as shortcut cmd+5
> and comments get cmd+6?
I think *changing* existing shortcuts is a bad idea. So I think we
should leave the shortcuts as they were and use cmd+6 for the new list
atom. After all, a list atom is *not* a drop-in replacement for a symbol
atom (numbers and spaces are handled differently!)

> - the symbol box by default now is much wider, I always have to make
> it shorter, who needs that big boxes most the time? can't we make the
> same as before?
I tend to agree. I think Miller just used the same default width for
both list atoms and symbol atoms.

> - something is funny on symbol boxes, if I type a number in it and
> sendd it to [float], float does not understand it and cannot convert
> it anymore to float.
Actually, the problem is really this: when you type a number in symbol
box and hit enter, the text just disappears and it outputs an empty
symbol. Of course, [float] can't convert empty symbols :-)

> - also float/symbol/list boxes. If I type '$0-x' as a send or receive
> name, I get '#0-x' when I reopen the preferences. This used to be
> something that happened for iemguis and we fixed it, but now these
> boxes have it.
Confirmed! As a side note, we still can't have "#" in atom labels :-(

> - if I type "hi, there" in a list box I get an unescaped (and
> seemingly ilegal) "," symbol.

Generally, list atoms contain FUDI strings and colons, semicolons and
dollars have special meanings. You have to escape them explicitly if you
want them to part of a symbol.

"foo,bar" -> 3 atoms

"foo\,bar" -> 1 symbol atom

However, you're right that the list atom forgets to bash those special
to symbols, so you end up with A_SEMI, A_COMMA, A_DOLLAR and A_DOLLSYM
atoms on the patch level - which is bad!