[GEM-dev] how close are we...

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jul 22 15:47:06 CEST 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >>abs
> >>m_control?
> >>multiselect?
> >>reson?
> >>strcat?
> >

> > I think they should go away ...
> should go away from GEM ?
>
> probably we should really remove all the markEX-objects that are not
> referred too by the help/example-patches (and as time permits, rewrite
> them, so that they don't need markEX)

yes, thats what I meant. They are not gem specific, therefore they do not
really fit. Don't know how many people use them. I think some people
complained that they have to load Gem in order to use these externals.
Putting them in CVS together with the externals we could avoid this.

> > Yep. What about producing a template for  the help-* patches (we have
> > to rename them for pd-0.37 too, right ?)
> i don't fully understand this.

Well, we design a help-template, more or less defining how help patches
should look like, and volunteers can help us documenting the single
objects using that template. (See attachment for a proposal describing
circle)

>   and ask gem users to help
> > with the documentation effort.
> yes, this would probably result in better help-patches (because they
> might show real needs)
>
> > I think it would be nice if the help patches have a minimal functionality
> > too, so the user can see the effect directly.
>
> so, without a [gemwin] but with a [gemhead] ?

I would say with gemwin too. Doesn't hurt, does it ?

Guenter