[GEM-dev] releasing GEM: tag "r0-888-pre"; CVS-checkins

tigital tigital at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 07:53:35 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 09:30  AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig
wrote:

> tigital wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 10:28  PM, chris clepper wrote:
>>> i added help for the following

>> ...cool!
>
> i have been ill the last days and thus have done a lot of
> documentation.
> somebody has noted a while ago: great minds tend to think alike ;-)
> i have integrated yours into mine and committed them
> but will commit mine for quite all the rest
> (still missing and NOT on my TODO-list are:
>  pix_convert
>  pix_dv
>  pix_emboss
>  pix_depot
>  pix_get
>  pix_put
>  pix_movieYUV
>  pix_test
>
> some of them might be in my local copy only ;-)
hey Iohannes,

...well, you've been quite busy!  I'm still going thru a bunch of the
changes, but just wanted to say "great job" on some of the help
patches:  the gop and color blocks make for a wholly different
impression...now to move that kinda design into all the other patches
:-)

> i have also made changes to the srces:
>
> one of my major issues is to get rid of values between 0 and 255.
> this range exists for purely technical reasons.
> In Gem all these ranges (eg: colors) have been handled as floats
> (0..1) for a long time.
> This (the history of Gem) is the only reason why i think we should try
> to make all limited ranges go from 0.0 to 1.0. and i think it is nice
> to have only one range to remember....
> and now the big: SO::

...um, after working on GEM for just over a year, why have I never
heard this design philosophy?  It makes sense, but it's awful bad form
to just up and say "everything should be done this other way"...

...anyway, I've been doing some committing myself the last few days,
and will post about them asap...also been using cvs2cl, and am going to
add a nice ChangeLog to the project...much easier to deal with...

soon,
jamie