[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] physical modeling objects for pd

Cyrille Henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Tue Dec 2 22:04:19 CET 2003

B. Bogart wrote:
 > Yes please upload it, I would like to see.

ok, I'm comminting to the usual place
(http://drpichon.free.fr/pure-data/physical-modeling/)
a directory contening  things needed for this patch.
it's a NewWave clone.
their is an abstraction wich create the matrices patch, and some already
made matrices.
tell me if there is someting you don't understand.

this patch is old, and was not desing for distributing.
so, you will have some work to make it work on your computer...

you will nead somes abstractions.
I use a lots of "lb" abstraction : it's just a loadbang.

try the patch and tell me all the abstraction you are missing.

the lia object was call liaKD when I made this patch, so I think you can
make an abstraction "liaKD" contening only "lia"...

so, if you don't get it to work, I'll do this job later...
(documentation first!)

> I've been interested in this stuff for years, but did not have the math to
> deal with the details.

equation are very simple...

> I'm interested in using a few input controls that drive a large number of
> interelated (complex) other controls.. (ie physical environment)

yes, that's what's interesting with this objects : you can build high
level comportement that would be hard to do with equations etc...
you can do chaotic mouvement very easily.
(02_2D should be chaotique : I'll pay a beer to the first one who can
explain why it becames peridic ;-)

> These seem pretty fast,
fast for control data. Signal processing is not the same...

> a 4x4 matrix should not have that much more
> overhead?
what do you mean by overhead?

>A matrix over x-y with forces only applied to Z would be great to
> see also.
>
> something on my long term to-do list is fluid dynamics...
woww, that's complettly diferent cause each masse has to be conmected to
all the other masses.

> (maybe we'll have
> to wait a bit for computers to get faster. ;)

depend of what kind of simulation you are using :

I think using specific mouvements equations can be necessary.
frinds show my very good things made using matlab! ;-)
I nead to find where i put my fluid mecanique book...

> Thanks for all the work!

thanks,
cyrille