[GEM-dev] gemcvs pix_texture: not using client storage??

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Tue Jan 13 15:06:52 CET 2004

> On Jan 12, 2004, at 12:48 PM, <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
>> I still don't understand pix_texture "mode 0" though, since I also
>> can't
>> get live video to texture on OSX without it. (geforce cards perhaps?)
>
> "mode 0" is power-of-two texturing where the texcoords are in the range
> 0..1.  "mode 1" is for rectangle textures with texcoords from 0..height
> and 0..width.  that's why using 'mode 1' results in the 'One Big Pixel
> Syndrome'.  only a few objects accept the rectangle coords like square,
> rectangle and cube, and because pix_texture doesn't know which Geos
> come after it, there is no way to automagically set this flag.  a name
> change might clarify what the flag does.  'texture type ?'  'texture
> mode ?'  ????

Ah I understand now, Thanks Chris for taking the time to explain it. Now
it makes sense. Would we alias one mode for one texture and the other mode
for another? pix_texture as 2^x and pix_texture_rect as rectangular
textures? Or a method selector for pix_texture could be "rect 1/0" I
suppose part of the root of this is that it should be stated in the
pix_source helpfile if the output is rect or 2^x . Only pix_film pix_video
output rect textures curretly is this correct?

> the only way to fix this is to rewrite all of the glu based objects
> like sphere and cylinder to accept whatever coordinate range defined by
> pix_texture and not assume that it will always be 0..1.  i plan to do
> this in the near term, and will roll it into the vertex array stuff as
> well.  a nice thing about using arbitrary texcoord ranges is that the
> entire surface is covered by _any_ size texture and there are no more
> black gaps caused by subtexturing.

This sounds like the best long-term solution to me, I've had a few
headaches with black areas using non 2^x textures. Right on on linux it
seems that if the texture is 2^x then those pixels are dropped into a 2^x
frame that coveres the whole texture, leaving black, or when switching
between 2^x and non 2^x remnants of the last texture... :(

Thanks again
Ben