[GEM-dev] Nvidia Driver Crash v1.0-5328

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Tue Jan 13 15:51:55 CET 2004

Oh damn.

suse9 is using glibc 2.3.2-88 so indeed it sounds like the culprit. All
the references I found for the "TLS" bug were for older driver versions
(1.0-4xxx) And I'm currently looking around for more info or nvidia's
stance on the subject. One fix I saw was to install the libs by hand (I
don't know where to put them!) or set this env variable:

LD_PRELOAD="/lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 /lib/tls/libc.so.6"

of course my libpthread is in /usr/lib and libc is in /lib/, I dunno whats
about seperate versions of these for tls...

What version of glibc did you downgrade to? Anyone using 2.3.2-xx with
nvidia drivers above 4xxx?

This from nvidia:

Q: Some OpenGL applications (like Quake3 Arena) crash when I start them
   on Red Hat Linux 9.0.

A: Some versions of the glibc package shipped by Red Hat that support
   TLS do not properly handle using dlopen() to access shared libraries
   which utilize some TLS models.  This problem is exhibited, for example,
   when Quake3 Area dlopen()'s NVIDIA's libGL library.  Please obtain
   at least glibc-2.3.2-11.9 which is available as an update from Red Hat.

I assume 2.3.2-11.9 is older than 2.3.2-88?

blech.

B.