[GEM-dev] off to new shores...

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Jun 20 17:55:27 CEST 2004

On Jun 20, 2004, at 6:49 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
> no
> i have to convince that i am not sure of everything too
>
> it is true, that v0_90 is contradictory to whatever i have said.
> i have branched v0_90 before really considering the dev-branches.
>
> but i believe they could co-exist:
> this would give us:
> 1) a main trunk that is "kind of stable" but where actual development
> is done
> 2) major-branches that are "really" stable, meaning: releases; they
> will never
> be merged into the main trunk again; the only reason i have "branched"
> instead
> of just "tagged" is for bugfixes.
> 3) small development branches that are merged when development
> stabilizes.

Alright, now I think I understand.  Branching at a stable release makes
some sense because, as you say, the branch contains a tag and does
allow for a bit more flexibility with later commits via merging.

The development branches sound like a good idea for anything that
changes the core functionality in a substantial way.  Probably
something like multiple render targets would fall under this, but the
simple addition of new objects that don't affect how other objects work
would not.

> i am quite sure that every developer has the possibility to branch;
> right now
> almost all branches have been done by me (but guenther has made one
> too)
> about merging i have no idea but probably it is the same.
> if only "managers" have the right to branch/merge i think all of us
> (all ? only
> core developers?) should get these rights.

I remember trying to tag something in CVS and not having the right
permissions.  I'm pretty sure I was doing it correctly.

> my proposal would be: let's try it out with the vertex-stuff.
> if it turns out to be completely nonsense and/or too complicated we
> could drop
> it again.

Ok, this sounds like a plan.  Here's what I think is the proper way to
do this:

-cvs tag -b vertex_array <-- this creates the branch

-cvs update -r vertex_array <-- this sets my current local copy to the
vertex_array branch

-add the new files locally and commit them

That should work, but I'll wait for some comments before actually doing
it.

cgc