[GEM-dev] off to new shores...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 25 19:52:38 CEST 2004

chris clepper wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2004, at 6:49 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>
>> no
>> i have to convince that i am not sure of everything too
>>
>> it is true, that v0_90 is contradictory to whatever i have said.
>> i have branched v0_90 before really considering the dev-branches.
>>
>> but i believe they could co-exist:
>> this would give us:
>> 1) a main trunk that is "kind of stable" but where actual development
>> is done
>> 2) major-branches that are "really" stable, meaning: releases; they
>> will never
>> be merged into the main trunk again; the only reason i have "branched"
>> instead
>> of just "tagged" is for bugfixes.
>> 3) small development branches that are merged when development
>> stabilizes.
>

> Alright, now I think I understand.  Branching at a stable release makes
> some sense because, as you say, the branch contains a tag and does allow
> for a bit more flexibility with later commits via merging.
>
> The development branches sound like a good idea for anything that
> changes the core functionality in a substantial way.  Probably something
> like multiple render targets would fall under this, but the simple
> addition of new objects that don't affect how other objects work would not.

right.
i have just made some changes because of the newWave-bug that cyrille
discovered and now i'm hesitating to check in ;-)

i do think, we could relax the branching to "heavy changes" (e.g: what
you call "changing the core functionality" and which could seriously
break things, e.g. because the GemState is changed.

as for small objects that are not likely to break anything (especially:
compilation!!!) they probably should go into the main dev-trunk immediately.

now i'll wait for some comments too, until i check in (to be honest: i
was thinking slowly and have committed it to the v0_90 already; but at
l(e)ast i thought...)

> Ok, this sounds like a plan.  Here's what I think is the proper way to
> do this:
>
> -cvs tag -b vertex_array <-- this creates the branch
>
> -cvs update -r vertex_array <-- this sets my current local copy to the
> vertex_array branch
>
> -add the new files locally and commit them
>
> That should work, but I'll wait for some comments before actually doing it.

looks good to me.

mfg.a.sdr