[GEM-dev] vertex_array branch

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Tue Aug 10 17:50:37 CEST 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 2:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>> what i do not understand on [color_set] is
>> a) the name: wouldn't [vertex_color] fit better (to see what it is
>> meant for, like [part_color])
>> b) the message "number": why is it "number" and not "vertex" as in
>> [vertex_offset] ? i think the 2 are so similiar that 2 different
>> messages for the same behaviour is non-intuitive.
>
> any comments on these ?
> i would like to release this as soon as possible (to not start
> releasing for 3 years again...)
>
> would it make sense to put it in a separate directory (just like
> particles) ??

The idea is to have all of the color manipulations separate from the
vertex position ones.  So color_set just sets the color value,
overwriting the current data, while the not-yet-existing color_scale
would multiply the color values by a value (useful for alpha-blending
and fading perhaps?).  The naming convention would continue to
texcoord_scale, normal_set, and so on.

I'm not sold on any set way of handling vertex, color, tex_coord or
normal data in GEM, so this is just my first idea.

Also, I should post a few patches that illustrate things like just
adjusting a section of the array as well.  Oh and the color
array/objects should probably be unsigned chars not float, which
doesn't affect the resolution one bit but speeds things up by a factor
of four.

cgc