[GEM-dev] vertex proposals

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Aug 27 14:16:36 CEST 2004

> ...there is still a matter of how to go about this (as is, there is a
> "#define __VBO" at the top of vertex_draw.cpp):  how far back, and with
> what effort, are we going to support stuff like this?  A third rewrite
> using ATI & NV's EXT's would be necessary to get support on
> linux/windo$e cards that don't support EXT_vertex_buffer_object...

fine.
i have moved the files into src/Vertex (i was unclear about this, when i
was talking about creating the src/Vertex folder; i really think *all*
vertex-stuff should be in there, even though vertex_draw is somehow a Geo)

after some minor changes it compiles on linux (and most probably windos)
too. however, __VBO is dead slow (needs 4* more CPU), so i have enabled
it only for __APPLE__;

>>> 1) i can apply a single processVertex-function to all arrays without
>>> having to know anything about the type of data (this reminds me strongly
>>> of the "generalized 3d shape synthesizer")
>>
>> It's a good idea, but the sacrifice of performance for flexibility
>> might be far
>> to great to have a usable system in the end.
>
> ...I agree that we want to keep performance top...also, the shape synth

i agree that re-arranging would be a bad thing if it really costs so
much. (i haven't done any testings at all)
i would risk a *small* performance loss, but naturally a
"performance-killer" could not really be accepted..

from what i understand so far (being no export in DMA at all), the real
boost with integer-colors would be in having far less memory to move
from main-mem to the graphics card -> correct ?? (i always thought that
the fpu-units of modern processors can compete with the integer units)

probably i should get some openGL-profiler (i know there is one for osX;
but does anybody no one for linux ??)

or could you (chris?) post some numbers of your profilings ?

> is a series of abstractions to deal with shapes, not colors or
> such...gotta draw the line somewhere when abstracting:  perhaps we need
> a texture synth?  Conversion abstractions could also help
> (normal2vertex, color2texcoord...?)

well; when i read glassner's article i really had the impression that it
was important to not stick some ideas to a specific data-type, e.g. shape.

because we do not know any application that would do anything
intelligent when rotating color-vectors this does not mean, that there
are none.

>> Also, it is possible to use vertex arrays in display lists, so that
>> might make
>> for a nice option.

from what i read it might not ;-) (but this might be old information)

> ...I've also started adding .3ds support, because it seems to be easier
> to find modeler's that work with it...nice to see we're all excited
> about this stuff!

this is really cool.