[GEM-dev] branches: SIMD & vertex-array going MAIN!

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 16 00:30:52 CET 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:

> while pixes are the bridge to pdp, i guess vertex-arrays might be the
> bridge to GridFlow.

There ought to be two bridges to gridflow, one for pixes and one for
vertex-arrays. Well at least I don't know why there shouldn't be one for
pixes... At least greyscale and rgb would be supported.

For the yuv422 case, it could be mapped to a grid of size
(height,width,2), where the two channels are Y and UV. The UV plane has U
on even-numbered columns and V on odd-numbered columns. That's afaict the
yuv422 model i will use if i ever need to.

Another possible mapping for yuv422 could be to duplicate the UV channels
to make it yuv444; then that maps directly to something that can be used
most naturally in GridFlow (i have already used yuv-based effects in
practice in GF).

The yuv444 i am using is unsigned, but frankly, most of the time I
translate to u8:i8:i8 (y unsigned, uv signed) because then the transform
is homogeneous linear and so the greys are at the origin of the uv
plane. So in the end i'd support both.

But I think RGB & Greyscale will be an excellent start...