[GEM-dev] osx fullscreen changes survey

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jul 30 05:09:21 CEST 2005

On Jul 29, 2005, at 3:35 PM, james tittle wrote:

> hey,
>
> ...well, it had to happen sometime!  I've finally come around to a
> need for a 'kiosk'-like presentation via gem, on a single
> monitor/touchscreen...we've been a bit conservative in allowing this,
> because without the proper foresight/design,

Sounds like a good idea!

>  it's incredibly easy to lock yourself out of the computer, and
> thereby require a hard restart :-)

Or you could ssh in and kill Pd, if you are on a network.

> ...so, I'm going to go ahead and make it possible in a coupla
> different ways, but I also want to have an easy way to get out of
> it...basically, I'm talking about taking over the escape key, such
> that whenever we're in fullscreen or fullscreen-windowed mode, hitting
> the escape button will destroy the window...there is a caveat:  this
> will only always work in my pd++.app (or derivations thereof), because
> keyboard input in gem is dependent on the gem window being front
> "focused"...

You could also use [key], etc. or [hid] to get the key info, then that
part would work in the regular Pd.app.

> ...I think the best way to do this is two pronged:
>
> 1.  a "fullscreen 1" message will capture the main device, hiding the
> dock/menubar/option-tab application selector...it'll also always cause
> the window to be "focused", so 'esc' will always work...plus, in this
> state we control the VRAM, so we can manage that better...
>
> 2.  creating a window the size of the screen without a fullscreen
> message, and without an offset to another device, would also cover the
> screen, and either automatically turn off the
> dock/menubar/option-tab-selector, or do so by another message
>
> ...does this sound ok?  I think using 'esc' for exiting fullscreen is
> pretty standard in the gaming world and so would be an easy fit
> here...In any event, I'll be doing it this weekend...

Sounds good.  I think its a broad standard for exiting fullscreen and
other things.

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope."

                                -Edsger Dykstra