[GEM-dev] Re: [GEM-cvs] Gem/src configure.ac,1.21,1.22

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 20:43:06 CEST 2005

On Oct 5, 2005, at 12:45 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> james tittle wrote:
>> ...but I'd also like to suggest (again, first posted in april)
>> that  we sidestep this whole morass and adopt glew (or something
>> similar,  tho I've happily used glew on many other projects), and
>> move all this  silliness of compile-time extension checking to
>> runtime checking...
>> http://glew.sf.net
>> ...it's just a header and a coupla c files, that can either be
>> compiled into a lib or just absorbed into gem like we've done
>> with  other necessary libs...the only problem is that this is a
>> big task,  and probably affects every file in GEM...other than
>> that, I would've  done it already ;-)
>> whatcha think?

> i think it is a good idea
> (have to check with w32 first)

...glew works on all platforms we support, and also supports all
extensions up to and including opengl2.0...there are two other
projects that may also be considered:

http://elf-stone.com/glee.php
http://www.julius.caesar.de/oglext/

...I've use glee before also, and it may be even simpler than
glew...?  A good crop of choices, as all support what we need...

james