[GEM-dev] again pix_film problem on OSX

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 05:32:51 CET 2006

On 2/6/06, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
> Hey Chris,
>
> maybe "rate 0" "rate 0.5" "rate 1"
>
> I think that is more clear and "rate" transparently turns on and off the
> internal timer. If you want "auto 0" or manual, then either don't sent
> rate messages, or to turn off the internal timer send "rate 0" which
> does make sense for "pause".

The 'auto' message is probably in wider use, so I am more inclined to
have that one be the 'real' message.  'rate' can be kept for backwards
compatibility.

This way an 'auto 1' will still play movies at the default rate of the file.

I think the original problem you are having with auto for pause is
actually a bug which is now fixed.

> Indeed the feature is really handy, especially for this installation,
> which plays 16 videos simultaneously. Does a great job of it too! Thanks
> for all the efforts.

I'm up to 9 to 16 640x480 layers as well.  At least 6 of those come off of disk.

> Say any info on the installation you've been talking about using pix_record?

There are several installations spread from Hong Kong to San Diego to
Madrid.  It's probably up to thousands of hours of testing for the
core objects like pix_film, pix_video and pix_record as well as some
of the pix_ processing code and fragment shaders.  They are slated to
run for up to eight years.

Jamie has some Mac Minis set up in a long term (permanent?)
installation with kids torture testing them in Louisville.

cgc