Toward Release (was Re: [GEM-dev] new win32 build)

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Mar 19 20:58:15 CET 2006

On 3/19/06, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> another idea: would it be an option if we did the release asap (even
> without this fix!) and do a 0.91.1 bugfix-release as soon as it has been
> found and fixed?
>
> apart from that, what is needed to produce the instability? just hook a
> camera to my G4, turn grabbing/rendering on and wait?

The bug so far only happens on dual g5, but if you have a dual g4 it might
be interesting to test. It's still not clear what the cause is, but multiple
capture devices, especially if one is a DV device, seem to be the trigger.
I haven't tested 10.3 and Quicktime 6.5 either since neither of those are an
option for me anymore, but that info could be useful as well.  I will
probably be working with Apple on tracking down the issue soon, so hopefully
they can provide some (paid) help.

I don't like the idea of a version with a known flaw to be widely circulated
even if most people won't likely encounter it.  It just creates confusion
and problems.

The Windows version still needs a lot of help prior to release as well.  I
don't even know if I'm building a binary that most people can even load!