Toward Release (was Re: [GEM-dev] new win32 build)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Mar 19 21:47:44 CET 2006

chris clepper wrote:
> On 3/19/06, *IOhannes m zmoelnig* <zmoelnig at iem.at
> <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>> wrote:
>
>     another idea: would it be an option if we did the release asap (even
>     without this fix!) and do a 0.91.1 bugfix-release as soon as it has been
>     found and fixed?
>
>     apart from that, what is needed to produce the instability? just hook a
>     camera to my G4, turn grabbing/rendering on and wait?
>

> The bug so far only happens on dual g5, but if you have a dual g4 it
> might be interesting to test. It's still not clear what the cause is,
> but multiple capture devices, especially if one is a DV device, seem to
> be the trigger.  I haven't tested 10.3 and Quicktime 6.5 either since
> neither of those are an option for me anymore, but that info could be

ok, i will try to have a look at our dual g4 (running 10.3 iirc, no idea
about the quicktime-version); the only  capturing device i have might be
a dv-camera, well probably i can find some usb-webcam that might work
under osx.

> I don't like the idea of a version with a known flaw to be widely
> circulated even if most people won't likely encounter it.  It just
> creates confusion and problems.

and of course my hurry about the release is probably exaggerated;
however i'd like to get it running asap.

> The Windows version still needs a lot of help prior to release as well.
> I don't even know if I'm building a binary that most people can even load!

still my tests have not gone beyond loading Gem on a vanilla w2k with
all recent service-packs installed (i posted the result already: the
msvc70.dll was needed (i think it comes already with xp), but after i
installed that one Gem loaded fine)

should we try to retain binary compatibility with w32 version prior to
2k? like w98?? i don't think so.

i would dearly beg you to find a way how to submit the vs.net project
files (preferrably without interfering with other files: maybe it is
possible to just put it into a separate directory)

mfg.asdr.