[GEM-dev] pix_video again

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri May 12 15:12:40 CEST 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 8:40 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> On 5/12/06, Erich Berger <eb at randomseed.org> wrote:
> but just to make it clear for me:
> is pix_film unloading the previous film from the memory when a new
> one is
> loaded or does it remain in memory ?
>
> Only one frame is loaded into memory at a time by GEM.  Quicktime
> may establish it's own buffers depending on the codec type which is
> a process we have no control over.  I haven't seen any memory leaks
> from pix_film/movie on OSX and pieces using up to 16 of those
> objects have run for many months (wndows is a different story though).

...just wanted to add that besides the per frame memory loading/
unloading, [pix_film] also takes care to cleanup movie
"containers" (ie. .mov or .avi) if a previous film was open when a
second one is requested (ie. loading new films)...

...things of interest to know would be how many clips are being
opened/closed and how often, and at what frame rate the project is
running...

l8r,
jamie