[GEM-dev] Re: pix_video and dv1394 capture on Edgy

Studio Zodiak studiozodiak at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 28 13:41:10 CET 2006

I tried to get 1394 running with ubuntu edgy without success also.
Maybe try using a webcam before you die of frustration.

I did. It changed my life : )

Sylvain

Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote: A small correction:

apparently device 0 does not work no matter what, but /dev/dv1394/0 works sometimes but only with black output.

Here's the relevant output from the Pd:

Open example video/00.SimpleVideo.pd

Shell (from which Pd was started): /dev/video0: No such file or directory
(i guess this is expected since ADVC-100 is dv1394 device)

Click on device 0 and driver 1:
No feedback

Start rendering:
Pd window: Direct Rendering enabled!
                      GEM: Start rendering
                      [pix_videoNEW]: starting transfer
                      DV4L: closed
                      GL: invalid enumerant
Shell: /dev/ieee1394/dv/host0/NTSC/in: Is a directory

Stop rendering:
Pd window: GEM: Stop rendering

Make message device /dev/dv1394/0, click on it:
Shell: get capabilities: Invalid argument
           get capabilities: Invalid argument (yes, twice)
Pd window: [pix_videoNEW]: device-err: 0

Click on mode NTSC and then driver 1:
Pd window: DV4L: DV decoding quality 5

At this point when I enable the rendering I consistently get (unlike before):
Pd window: Direct Rendering enabled!
                      GEM: Start rendering
                      [pix_videoNEW]: starting transfer
                      DV4L: closed
                      GL: invalid enumerant
Shell: /dev/dv1394/0: Device or resource busy

/dev/raw1394, and /dev/video1394/0 or /dev/video yields invalid argument for capabilities and does not work.

Again, I would greatly appreciate your insight in this matter before I resort to switching to a different distro/version.

Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Ico

On 12/27/06, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote: Aaaargh, accidentally pressed "send" button...

The only thing left to report is that /dev tree has
dv1394/0
video/0
video -> video/0 symlink
raw1394

Modules loaded are the usual bunch ohci1394 ieee 1394 dv1394 raw1394. I also tried manually modprobing video1394 with no effect.

/dev/ieee1394  tree is missing but recreating it manually (/dev/ieee1394/.../in and .../out simply makes "device0" also work with the same effect as described below.

0.90 gem is worse since it does not allow non-standard choice of devices but it does not appear to be any better off than the  0.91.

Obviously this suggests that there is something fishy with Edgy, but the question is what?

Any help is most appreciated!

Best wishes,

Ico

On 12/27/06,  Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote:  Hi all,

Here I am 6 months later trying to upgrade my laptop and a new issue has cropped up with my video capture in Gem.

System: Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy) i386 using udev
Graphics: ATI 9600 running fglrx
Kernel:  2.6.18-rt7
Video capture: el-cheapo camcorder run through ADVC-100 firewire device

When running Kino, the camera gets captured just fine and everything "just works" as expected. However, in Gem (tried  0.90, CVS from November and another one from today's snapshot), I need to send following messages for Gem capture to work at all:

device /dev/dv1394/0
mode NTSC
driver 1

This starts capture reporting DV capture quality at 5, but the captured stuff is black. The only proof that things are getting captured comes from disconnecting the feed in the middle of the capture by pulling the video cable that connects camcorder with the ADVC-100 and then one can notice change in the color and/or momentary flicker of the captured area.

http://mail.yahoo.com