[GEM-dev] Re: pix_video and dv1394 capture on Edgy

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 05:15:24 CET 2006

A small correction:

apparently device 0 does not work no matter what, but /dev/dv1394/0 works
sometimes but only with black output.

Here's the relevant output from the Pd:

Open example video/00.SimpleVideo.pd

Shell (from which Pd was started): /dev/video0: No such file or directory
(i guess this is expected since ADVC-100 is dv1394 device)

Click on device 0 and driver 1:
No feedback

Start rendering:
Pd window: Direct Rendering enabled!
                      GEM: Start rendering
                      [pix_videoNEW]: starting transfer
                      DV4L: closed
                      GL: invalid enumerant
Shell: /dev/ieee1394/dv/host0/NTSC/in: Is a directory

Stop rendering:
Pd window: GEM: Stop rendering

Make message device /dev/dv1394/0, click on it:
Shell: get capabilities: Invalid argument
           get capabilities: Invalid argument (yes, twice)
Pd window: [pix_videoNEW]: device-err: 0

Click on mode NTSC and then driver 1:
Pd window: DV4L: DV decoding quality 5

At this point when I enable the rendering I consistently get (unlike
before):
Pd window: Direct Rendering enabled!
                      GEM: Start rendering
                      [pix_videoNEW]: starting transfer
                      DV4L: closed
                      GL: invalid enumerant
Shell: /dev/dv1394/0: Device or resource busy

/dev/raw1394, and /dev/video1394/0 or /dev/video yields invalid argument for
capabilities and does not work.

Again, I would greatly appreciate your insight in this matter before I
resort to switching to a different distro/version.

Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Ico