[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] pix_video and dv1394 capture on Dapper/Edgy/FC6

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 17:42:40 CET 2006

One word: WOW!

This, against any common sense actually worked. On Ubuntu Hoary running on
the 100% same hardware and the *same* pd software revision this was not
needed. Now suddenly this is required, go figure. More so, given that
e-mails on various lists asking about this go back to mid-2005, none of
which were apparently solved...

So, in short for Studio and others to try out:

1) Start the examples/Gem/04.Video/00.SimpleVideo.pd
2) Change device message to "/dev/dv1394/0" or if you have dv1394-0 device,
then to "/dev/dv1394-0"
3) Change "driver 0" to "driver 1"
4) add a message to pix_texture "mode 0"
5) depending upon your type of camera you may also need to use "mode NTSC"

Click on mode (if needed), then driver, then device, then on the newly added
mode, and then finally create gemwin and turn on rendering. You should now
have a working dv feed!

Kudos to Chris for solving the riddle! I am still a bit confused why this is
necessary (mode deals with "rectangle texturing" but since I was using the
same version of pd/gem before and it worked without it, this is still IMHO
very curious).

Best wishes,

Ico