[GEM-dev] VideoIO Framework

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jun 14 09:44:05 CEST 2007

chris clepper wrote:
> My general thoughts on this are two points:
>
> 1) Of all the things to work on in GEM I would place a complete
> overhaul of the pix_film/video near the bottom of the list.  My number
> one request would be for documentation especially of the more advanced
> features.  Also, it would be great to have someone look at the things
> Jamie was working on and continue those.  GLEW support would be nice
> to have but that also might require a lot of code changes.  Finally,

i agree with most points here.
the problem is, that several projects related to Gem have been submitted
(featuring glew, the videoIO framework, threading,...) and this
framework is the one that was chosen (to be honest: it was the only
gem-related project that someone was willing to do).

> having someone who really knows Windows and is willing to work on that
> platform is much needed.

and this is certainly true and sad.

> 2) This directly affects the code I use most to make a living.  Since
> the work here is designed for very long term installation the testing
> process is extensive and lengthy. Depending on how large the changes
> are the testing could require months of labor and dedicated testing
> machines.  This would cost a fair amount of money and the end result
> would be something that works as well as it does today rather than a
> great improvement.

i see your point.
otoh, if GridFlow partakes (and probably pdp) a lot more people will
actually be doing the testing.

obviously it is not the plan to render previous work useless.
probably we can find a way to do a transition smoothly (without any NEW
and OLD adhoc solutions)

> I would like to see a fairly comprehensive and detailed proposal of
> how this is going to work and then I can give more specifics.

ok that is great.

mfga.sdr