[GEM-dev] "auto 1, 1"--[alpha] with double [gemhead] idiom

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sun Jul 6 18:50:24 CEST 2008

Hi Matthias,

I hope you don't mind me sending this reply to the list too.

Matthias Neuenhofer wrote:
> Hi Claude,
>
> it´s not a bug in Gem the depth sorting follows the render order. Normal
> openGL behaviour.

That's what I suspected, and in that case maybe the wording of [alpha]'s
help patch could be better:

""
Inlet 1: message "auto 1" | "auto 0" turn on/off automatic depth detection
""

I thought this would cache all objects following the [alpha] and sort
them by depth automatically, or something.  Now I'm not sure what the
"auto $1" message does at all.

Reading carefully the large paragraph I see it says:

""
Be aware that the rendering order matters, so you probably want to set
the gemhead order number high so that the object is rendered after all
of the non-alpha blended ones.
""

Maybe this could be made more explicit, saying render order of
alpha-blended objects matters as well as alpha vs non-alpha objects.

> In the second way you render your patch it´s well working.

Sure, but naturally the "real patch" has much more complicated geometry,
it would be a major pain in Pd as far as I can tell to do some kind of 3
pass rendering, where the first pass gets the depth of each object, the
second pass sorts by depth, and the third pass actually draws them.

I guess I'm too ambitious :)

Thanks,

Claude