[GEM-dev] pix_record issues with WinXp and Vista

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 16 08:52:07 CET 2009

John Harrison wrote:
> We are in the midst of our Pd/Gem module for our class and Gem is performing
> nicely on the students' varied OSes and machines. Our only real problem we
> have run into is that pix_record seems to be giving us some troubles on the
> WinXP and Vista machines.
>
> The results are not completely consistent amongst the machines but in
> general we especially have troubles trying to record especially from
> webcams. When trying to record from webcams we see messages in the Pd
> console like:
> recordQT: movie dimensions changed prev 320x61486 now 320x240 stopping
> recording
> error: recordQT : EndMediaEdits failed with error -2008
>
> Some machines cannot record from the webcam but can record from other
> sources, such as pix_sig2pix. Some even fail with pix_sig2pix but do succeed
> in recording from pix_film as is done in the pix_record example patch
> included with Gem.
>
> Using the attached patch, a typical failure of pix_sig2pix looks like:
> recordQT: movie dimensions changed prev 0x0 now 640x480 stopping recording
> error: recordQT : EndMediaEdits failed with error -2008
>
> This is with GEM ver 0.91-cvs compiled Apr 12, 2008, part of the latest
> Pd-extended 0-40.3 release for Windows. All the tested machines have the
> latest version of Quicktime (v7.6) installed.

a quick start is (iirc), to start the recording only _after_ you started
  rendering.
that is: [pix_record] needs to have received at least one frame of the
correct size before it starts recording (else it will immediately stop
because it thinks the frame-size has changed).

this could be considered a fixeable issue.

fgmadsf