[GEM-dev] gem and init to 0

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 10 00:58:42 CET 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 9:45 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So it seems that gem objects are initing everything to zero, things
>> like colorRGB and translateXYZ don't work if you specify less than
>> three values.  It seems to me that those missing values should be
>> set to zero, since that is how Pd generally works,
>

> hmm, i would prefer if elements that are used wrongly would not
> create at all.
>
> e.g. if you make an object [translateXYZ 0 1] you will get an error
> message on the console "[translateXYZ]: needs 0 or 3 arguments".
> users should read the console and properly create the objects.
> i understand that nobody will have a look at the console everytime
> an object has been created.
> so they should be guided by some feedback: the best feedback i can
> imagine right now would be to fail to create the object.
>
> the alternative would be to provide wrong default arguments. i cal
> lthem "wrong" because they will most likely be wrong in most cases.
> therefore i prefer to not impose them on the users.

Why is that wrong?  I seems perfectly natural to me in Pd land, and I
bring this up because students did exactly this.  Values initialize to
zero when not specified.  There are definitely precedents to this in
Pd-vanilla, why should Gem be different than Pd?

The other side of this question is: where is the harm in doing this?
Would this cause any problems to make Gem be more like Pd?