[GEM-dev] pix_multiimage .png problem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 19 09:08:36 CEST 2009

johann scholz wrote:
> hi again,
>
> got another pix_multiimage problem, which is really weird in my opinion....
> i preloaded a series of .tif sequences with pix_multiimage which worked
> really fine, but the .tif images are really big so i converted them to
> .png(need
> something with an alpha channel) and now it doesn't load the sequences
> anymore??????? or maybe it does because when i try to delete the images
> from my harddisc while pd is open it says"cannot delete cuz used by another
> program".
>
> the exact error that happens within pd is it says
> error: [pix_multiimage]: selection number too high: 0 (max num is 0)
> until 100(it's a 100 pics sequence) when i try to run the anim by a
> counter. if i use .tif files in the same patch they are loaded perfectly
> so it actually can't be a coding failure?
>
> pd version: pd extended 0.40.3
> os: winXP

2 remarks:
- i am not aware that Gem can load png images on w32 at all (but might
happily be mistaken :-))

- the reason why the files are "locked" is a weird bug in Pd (or my way
to compile any external for Pd) that does not allow an external to
properly close a file-handle created with open_via_path() (this has
recently been discussed on the Pd-list (search for something like
file-handle leaks), but i just noticed that i there is no proper
bug-report on neither pd-gem nor pure-data...

fmad