[GEM-dev] videoKINECT plugin for pix_video

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 22 15:07:21 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Yes, it would be nice to have [pix_video] work with the Kinect, but
> right now the plugins stuff is not fully done yet, and people want to
> work with the Kinect now. I tried to get stuff building using the Gem
> build system, but I couldn't get it going, so I just made a Makefile
> which seems to work.  For one, it seems to depend on automake-1.11,
> which is not always easily available.  I see no reason why the Gem
> plugins can work for automake-1.9 or even earlier, its not a complicated
> build.

I don't understand the point of the plugins stuff. It seems to be just 42
more occasions of running 42 $x/configure scripts doing 42 tests each
about whether printf really exists, whether the build system is "sane"
(what does that mean ?), the Fortran-77 compiler is installed (what for ?)
and redoing it again from scratch because the master Makefile doesn't
trust the user (or the filesystem) that the master ./configure has really
been running $x/configure in all subdirectories already.

On my system it takes 30 minutes to run a Gem build, and I heard that
there was a funny option that I had never heard of, that could cache some
of the "configuration" results, but I forgot what it is, and I don't think
many people know this option at all.