[GEM-dev] loading Gem should add path/to/Gem to search path?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Apr 7 14:55:59 CEST 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:10 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-04-06 22:31, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> From my Pd-extended point of view, not finding s_stuff.h is an error,
>> and the build should stop.
>
> i understand this pov if you have your PdX hat on, but obviously it is
> inacceptable for Gem in general.
>
>> Here's my fix:
>>
>> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data?view=revision&revision=15062
>>

> excuse me, but this fix is utterly..., well, i cannot find a word
> for it.
> i hope that i have fixed the configure script last night, but with
> workarounds and hacks like forcing HAVE_STUFF_H, we will never now
> whether the upstream build-system really fixes the problem.
>
> please don't go for immediate satisfaction at the cost of long term
> fixes.

I think you're missing the point a bit.  My fix was a better long term
fix for the problem I was trying to solve: making a missing s_stuff.h
stop the Pd-extended build with an error.  For Pd-extended, I am not
interested in what ./configure finds, I want to build using a given
configuration, and it should fail when there is something missing, not
configure around it.  Same goes for making a Debian (or whatever)
package.

I suppose its possible to do something similar in Gem's build system,
but its really far too complex for mere mortals to understand.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith