[GEM-dev] imageCOCOA plugin

m.e.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:34:13 CEST 2012

> you code will need to have a line like:
>  REGISTER_IMAGELOADERFACTORY(cocoa", imageCOCOA);

yup thats all there. been studying your code a little but this:

> Gem will simply look for files named "gem_image*.so"

wasn't totally clear so thanks!

> would you mind publishing your code somewhere?
> (e.g. cloning on github[*],

yeah NP. give me a week or so to get something to work. right now i
dont have much there.... also end of semester busyness will end soon

> Gem should be pretty verbose on the cmdline

yeah got it. i was doing something like:
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/MacOS/Pd-0.43.1-extended-20120410
-stderr 3

which wasn't helpful

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 11:48 PM, m.e.grimm wrote:
>>
>> hey
>>
>> i just wrote a quick imageCOCOA gem plugin that compiles fine. Im
>> using cocoas NSImage (not sure if it works). What I have is
>> imageCOCOA.mm which is objective-C (obviously)...
>

> cool. it's good someone takes a lead here!
>
> would you mind publishing your code somewhere?
> (e.g. cloning on github[*], and pushing your code to your personal
> repository, so it's easy to integrate once it's done.
>

>> when starting PD and getting something like "GEM: image loading
>> support: SGI" i was hoping to get "GEM: image loading support: SGI
>> COCOA" ... i am assuming this is whether the plugin has been loaded or
>> not based on Gem just recognizing that it is there?
>>
>> anyway. whether the plugin works or not is not the point. i just want
>> notification that Gem actually sees that its there and at least tries
>> to load it...
>

> Gem should be pretty verbose on the cmdline about what it does when trying
> to load the plugin (supposed it can find it)
>

>> maybe im going about this all wrong. so i need advice. this is all
>> assuming I can just write any old plugin, drop it in the Gem folder
>> and as long as the plugin is written correctly and find all the
>> libs/frameworks it needs it will load... or does Gem itself have to be
>> compiled knowing that a plugin may or may not exist...
>

> no, that's the idea of the plugins.
> Gem will simply look for files named "gem_image*.so" and try to load all of
> those.
> the cmdline should give you some hints though, what goes wrong, if there is
> a file named correctly, and it still doesn't show up.
>
> you code will need to have a line like:
>  REGISTER_IMAGELOADERFACTORY(cocoa", imageCOCOA);
>
> that will actually add the plugin to the plugin-factory.
>

> fgmasdr
> IOhannes
>

> [*] due to recent sourceforge outages, i have created a mirror of Gem on
> github: http://github.com/umlaeute/Gem

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com