[GEM-dev] GEM, OpenGL Depreciation and Metal on OSX

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:56:35 CET 2020

OpenGL is deprecated but most likely will not removed for some years as there are far too many existing applications using it. The Carbon framework is still in macOS in bits and pieces because of this as well. My estimation is at least 5 years, probably more.

What will change is the immediate state model that the original OpenGL API used. Most of the functionality can be wrapped but GEM should basically transition to Vulkan (using the MoltenVK Metal wrapper for macOS) and use abstractions where possible instead of exposing the direct graphics API, otherwise the *next* graphics API change will require the same work, over and over again.

Also, if GEM was dead on macOS, there wouldn't be the AVFoundation plugins.

Yes, there will be a *lot* of work required and I suggest looking to pool resources in order to get a team together to consider doing it, but again, there are years before OpenGL will disappear.

> On Mar 26, 2020, at 10:02 AM, gem-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:47:06 -0400
> From: "me.grimm" <megrimm at gmail.com <mailto:megrimm at gmail.com>>
> To: gem-dev <gem-dev at iem.at <mailto:gem-dev at iem.at>>
> Subject: [GEM-dev] GEM, OpenGL Depreciation and Metal on OSX
>
> Hello,
>
> Getting lots of OpenGL depreciation warnings compiling GEM.  macOS is
> moving to its own Metal framework. I assume GEM will fail to run on macOS
> at some point.
>
> What does this mean for GEM on macOS? Is GEM 'dead' on macs? Can it be
> transitioned with something like this: https://moltengl.com/ <https://moltengl.com/> ? Do large
> parts need to be re-written? Is there any hope?
>
> I would say for macOS users to just go use Ofelia. Unfortunately, the
> Ofelia learning curve seems very steep. For studio arts students that have
> never programed before, never knew they had interest in programing, and are
> learning the basics of creating interactive art, GEM offers very simple
> objects and a consistent visual programing workflow that allows them to
> transition from simple Pd Vanilla objects to GEM very easily. For them,
> patience is not always a strong suit so getting something working quickly
> sustains their interests much longer. Some of them even begin to use Pd/GEM
> combo in their daily practice.
>
> This said, it would be a shame if 'GEM is dead' on macOS. But maybe this is
> an over reaction and the GEM future is bright.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>