[PD-announce] Pd 0.36 on IRIX

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Tue Oct 14 23:18:52 CEST 2003

Hi list,

I just wanted to announce something new for old machines:

I've compiled Pd for IRIX 6.5 (based on the distribution from Søren
Bovbjerg) and added / changed some things:

- Pd now supports the -realtime flag to run at higher priority. The
priority is set to 192 (255 would be the maximum) because I didn't want
to block the system too much. But that's still much better than a
priority setting of 20. The same pd-watchdog technique is used as on
Linux.

- used GCC 3.3 to compile: Pd and all externals are compiled with GCC,
so it's now possible to compile externals without having to purchase the
MIPSpro compiler from SGI. CPU usage seems to be 2 or 3% higher compared
to Sørens version (which was made using the MIPSpro compiler, I guess).
Note: gcc compiled externals don't work with the MIPSpro version of Pd
and the other way round...

Requirements: SGI Workstation (I tested it on a single-CPU R12k Octane),
IRIX 6.5 (might work with 6.4 but not earlier because thread scheduling
was introduced in IRIX 6.4)
Download:
http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/irix/pd-0.36-irix6.5-gcc3.3.tar.gz (n32
binary, mips4)