[PD-dev] loading abstractions into objcts...?

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Mon Sep 23 01:47:33 CEST 2002

Hi Olaf, list

This is similar to a problem that I've just spent some time working on: a
poly~ style object/abstraction array container object. I've been writing
this as a pd internal object because I don't think that it can easily be
done from a external(?).  I'd appreciate any help/comments from those who've
delved inside PD more than I.

Apologies to Olaf - there are more questions than answers here.

I've pasted in the constructor at the end of the message.

Things to note:
This works for objects or abstractions and dynamically creates the inlets
and outlets according to the contained object.

I'm using an inlet proxy object (called ainlet) which is basically vinlet
but without the canvas references.  I attach each my object's inlets to an
ainlet (which simply forwards its input to its output).  Then I connect
(using obj_connect) each ainlet to the inlets of the currently indexed
container member object.  Similarly, I'm using an outlet proxy object.

Is it possible to avoid the proxy objects in any way?  I couldn't see a way
of having multiple inlets on an object that could forward to other inlets on
a contained object (and ideally to multiple inlets for an omni mode)?

Things not supported (yet):
 - Introspection into the contained object/abstraction.  I think that I can
just make a canvas visible somehow?
 - Signals.  (Should be straightforward, I think... it might even work
already...?)

Other questions:
 - How can this be done better?
 - Can this be done as an external?
 - Should I just programmatically create a canvas with my objects (inlets
and outlets) in it and connect them together (avoids custom ainlet/aoutlet
classes).
 - Should this object just be a specialization of the canvas class?

Thanks,
Daniel

static void *objarray_new(t_symbol *s, int argc, t_atom *argv)
{
	t_objarray *x = NULL;

	if (argc >= 2)
	{
		int i;

		x = (t_objarray *)pd_new(objarray_class);
		x->x_nobj = atom_getfloat(&argv[argc-1]);
		x->x_index = -1;
		x->x_objname = atom_getsymbol(&argv[0]);
		x->x_objarray = (t_object**)getbytes(x->x_nobj * sizeof(t_object*));

		// make the object array
		for (i = 0; i < x->x_nobj; i++)
		{
			pd_typedmess(&pd_objectmaker, x->x_objname, argc-2, argv+2);
			x->x_objarray[i] = (t_object*)newest;
			if (newest && pd_class(newest) == canvas_class)
			    	canvas_loadbang((t_canvas *)newest);
		}

		// make the inlet and outlet arrays
		x->x_ninlets = obj_ninlets(x->x_objarray[0]);
		x->x_noutlets = obj_noutlets(x->x_objarray[0]);
		x->x_inarray = (t_ainlet**)getbytes(x->x_ninlets * sizeof(t_ainlet*));
		x->x_outarray = (t_aoutlet**)getbytes(x->x_noutlets * sizeof(t_aoutlet*));

		// make the inlets
		for (i = 0; i < x->x_ninlets; i++)
		{
			x->x_inarray[i] = ainlet_new(NULL);
			inlet_new(&x->x_obj, &x->x_inarray[i]->x_obj.ob_pd, 0, 0);
		}

		// make the outlets
		for (i = 0; i < x->x_noutlets; i++)
		{
			x->x_outarray[i] = aoutlet_new(outlet_new(&x->x_obj, NULL));
		}

		// make the index inlet
		inlet_new(&x->x_obj, &x->x_obj.ob_pd, &s_float, gensym("index"));
	} else
		error("objarray: usage [objarray object_name <args> array_size]");
}

Daniel