[PD-dev] sourceforge tarball problem

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Nov 6 16:17:34 CET 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Michael Iber wrote:

> but you can extract it with winCVS ( I can't exactely remember how, but
> something like you have to set the cvsroot to the local directory you
> expanded the files to)
> Michael

Thats true, but still there is the question why someone wants to do this.
I can imagine two reasons:

- you want to download and install all the externals in one go.
  (This is actually one goal of the CVS, to have everything together).
  The problem is that this should be done based on releases, and not
  using the tarball. (It was a bd idea to put the link there).

- there is a feature in CVS that is missing in the current release  of
  the external (THis means we shoudl hurry up to make a release as soon as
  possible)

We, (the developers that put the code into CVS), have still to find a
way to work on this together. If we are not able to do this in the
long run, the CVS is pretty useless.

Also, it would be really great if those who are working on OSX, or
those who encounter problems with compiling/using the externals could
participate actively, by either becoming a developer, or by asking
at the list to add there changes.

Greeting,

GUenter