[PD-dev] Re: [PD] windows binaries / cvs

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu Mar 6 08:41:47 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "guenter geiger" <geiger at xdv.org>
> Yes, it should not be to hard. Zexy, flext and OSX should probably be
> compilable with their supplied Makefile. All other are built in
> build/platform directory.
>
> The plan was to have a general build system for all externals, but I
> didn't want to mess around in the personal sub folders, so all
> externals that are compiled under the "build" tree are in build/src
> (actually they are some sort of links to the real externals).

I've just worked through many of the externals and gotten most to build...
some of the others are going to be a bit challenging to get going under
windows.

A couple of questions:
1) why are there c files in the externals/build/win directory but not in the
the other externals/build/platform directory?
2) many externals seem to have setup functions that don't match their
filenames... particularly the ext13 tilde externals. (e.g. send13~) why is
this?  how does PD correctly load the setup function?

> I think for the future we should come up with some guidelines how
> to write externals, so that they fit into this framework.

Yup.  I'll post a list of things I've had to fix in externals to get them to
build with the hope that people can write new code with these things in
mind.

> Another goal is to do quality control on the externals, and just include
> those that meet the requirements of beeing reasonable bugfree.

Yes... how do we do this?  Stable and unstable release?

> Great that you are doing this work, Daniel. I am happy if we have
> and nmake system for now, finally I would prefer mingw if this is
> doable.

I'll have a look into mingw when I've finished on the nmake front.

Has anyone managed to compile PD itself with mingw?

Daniel