[PD-dev] [Fwd: Re: pidip]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Aug 25 23:30:40 CEST 2003

On Thursday, Aug 21, 2003, at 14:14 America/New_York, Yves Degoyon
wrote:

> hi,
>
> Pablo wrote:
>
> >hi!
> >
> >you might remember i was building debian packets of your externals for
> >pure data. i also built packges for cooled countund gem2pdp drid
> >sonogram and playlist, and i'll try to package them all eventually.
> >right now i'm in the process of changing the package names to pd-*.
> >
> wow, cool, thx.
>

> >the thing is: i've been talking with guenter geiger (he is packaging
> >pure data for debian) to get the packages into debian. one of the
> >problems is pidip depends on liblame and i believe lame will never get
> >into debian. what would happen if pidip is compiled without support
> for
> >it? is it possible?
>
> well, it's a little bit trickier than that, there's no direct
> dependency
> with lame,
> but it is introduced by ffmpeg which uses lame to decode the sound of
> most videos and i wouldn't like to remove dependency to ffmpeg
> as it would mean pidip would then be only able to read quicktime movies
> and no longer mpegs, avi, .... as well as not being able anymore to
> stream videos.
> hum, i find it annoying to publish such a version.
>

> >another question: have you defined the help patches for the different
> >pidip pieces? i'm asking because when i hit the help button over them
> >the help patch doesn't appear.
>
> no, no help patches defined.
> all the help patches are in the doc directory
> but they are not installed in the usual help folder.
> i'll add this in next release.
>

> >also while preparing the packages i noticed you install all the help
> >patches into 6.reference section... don't you think it is necessary to
> >separate them into help patches and example patches? (for example)
>
> there's no example patches, except in the newly created
> patches folder, all that's in doc folder are help patches.
>

> >anotheer thing (and this is the last... for the moment :)): would you
> >mind if we put the code for pidip into the pure data extern cvs? i can
> >do it if you want... it's because guenter prefers to have them in a
> cvs
> >so it's easier packaging them. maybe he already consulted you about
> >this...
>
> this has been done lately by Hans-Cristoph Steiner
> ( and i thank him a lot for that )
> for i don't have much time to do it
> ( i'm in barcelona and we're preparing a festival for the end of the
> month :
> http://www.hackitectura.net/lamultitudconectada/ )
>
> cheers,
> sevy
>

> >well this is all.. keep the incredible work!! each time i finish
> >building a package for pidip you get a new version out ;)
> >
> >      pablo

Indeed, PiDiP is already in the SourceForge CVS, as of 2 weeks ago.
Currently, there is an ACL only allowing access to Yves and me, as Yves
requested.  There are a few ways we can make this work for the debian
packagizing:  1) Grant Pablo access to the code  2) Grant Pablo access
to only the files he needs to edit  3) Have Yves or me commit the
changes.