[OT] Tabs / Re: [PD-dev] Looks like there's a song position pointer bug

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Sep 27 20:20:19 CEST 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 05:16, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> As a tab is just one character and not 8 or 2 or 4, there is no "rule"
> on Unix that it is eight spaces normally. The eight character thing is
> just the width, some editors like to show a tab.
>
> Personally I set the tabwidth in Vim to 4 because 8 is much to wide
> for my tastes. But someone else wouldn't know this, it makes no
> difference when using real tabs like "\t".
>
> Using expaned tabs everyone would see 4 spaces for indenting in my
> code and would have to live with it. That's one of the reasons I
> prefer \t-tabs in my code, the other is faster navigation (faster
> moving over less characters).
>
> In Pd or any C language this is really no problem at all, but I do
> program a lot in Python, and here a community project has to agree on
> one single indentation/tab style.
>
> ciao

Frank, what you're describing is how tab characters are intended to be used.
The problem is that all too often, they are used incorrectly; sometimes both
tabs and spaces are used for indentation, or a tab character is used to
indent to a specific character position. In these cases, I'm forced to try
different tab spacings until I find the "right" one.

Larry