[PD-dev] Pd Console

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 26 05:08:58 CET 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Nice idea, and I think, useful in the future.

I assume this was meant as a reply to the list; I hope you don't mind.

> I hope, it does not lead to interrupts in the audio chain on larger
> post()'s?

Yes it does, like pretty much any heavy activity involving a communication
between pd and pd-gui.

Today I tried tweaking sys_gui() in a way that makes it go smoother.
Somehow I can't get it to work with fdopen()/fwrite() buffering, I can't
get it to work with send(,,,MSG_DONTWAIT), and I can't get it to work with
O_NONBLOCK, as in all three cases the data gets badly mangled along the
way, and I can't figure out why. I basically wanted to make it so messages
get buffered by sys_gui(), and it would return even when a message hasn't
been sent yet, and would try again later at a further call of
sys_gui(...), and the main loop would try sending the rest when it can, by
calling sys_gui(""). I then gave up on getting it to work because of the
aforementioned issues.

> But personally I see another problem, at least on Linux, with the
> bigger main window. If I use an openpanel/savepanel in my patches,
> then the Pd main win will lay itself above all other Pd windows after
> I selected a file. This is really annoying, because normally I don't
> need to see the Pd main window at all.  Of course this isn't your
> fault, but an even larger main window would make for an even larger
> window to click away after selecting files. ;)

You know, I had no clue about this, but I thought that someone would find
such a problem eventually, which is why it was important to me that this
feature be enabled explicitly by "-console", to ease its integration into
the main Pd release.

Besides, Pd does all sorts of other fprintf(stderr,...) that I haven't
changed yet; so consider it as an "alpha" feature.