[PD-dev] Pd Console

tigital at mac.com tigital at mac.com
Thu Jan 29 17:57:41 CET 2004

On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 10:37  PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
wrote:

> This is great.  This is basically the last hurdle to making Pd behave
> like a native MacOS X app.  I am going to try to make another release
> soon, with the main difference being the app-like behavior.

...I guess I shoulda announced this on more than just gem-dev:

...finally committed the event processing code for OSX, so now
[gemmouse] and [gemkeyboard] work!  A side of effect of this is
something else very cool (yet another example of the "I wanted to fix a
sandwich, but wound up discovering fusion"-syndrome):  a standalone,
double-clickable pd.app ;-)  At the moment it is barebones, but it does
allow for drag and drop installation, works with .pdrc's, and allows
for flag input at startup...

...the app was developed because I discovered that the aqua window
manager would not allow windows to be foreground unless the application
played by it's rules :-(  So, since the cli pd certainly didn't behave
this way, I hacked together this new version...the main effect is that
with today's cvs commits, Gem windows now have title bars, can be
dragged around the screen, minimized to the dock, and generally seem to
behave the way a window should!

...anyway, the "pd++.app" is available at:

http://homepage.mac.com/tigital

...this one is based on 0.37-1test3, but I'll get a version for 0.37-0,
0.37-1test6, and the cvs one by later today, so you may wanna
wait...also, this version has the priority schedule hack removed,
because it really screws with Gem:  however, I'll put it back in if
everyone promises to run it with the "-rt" flag, so that the
pd_watchdog is enabled...oh, and if you're wondering where the console
output is going, just open up the console.app in
/Applications/Utilities...

...I'll probably rename it, and an icon is on it's way; so give it a
whirl...

l8r,
jamie