[PD-dev] Help search; standard external installation paths

d.lj jdl at xdv.org
Mon Feb 2 00:38:05 CET 2004

[Larry Troxler]->[Re: [PD-dev] Help search; standard external installation...

 |On Tuesday 27 January 2004 04:19, Frank Barknecht wrote:
 |>
 |> Actually all externals are an extension to Pd. On the CVS distribution
 |> build, every external is install to /usr/[local/]lib/pd/extra/ all
 |> docs go to doc/5.reference/ without subfolders. I think, installing
 |> all binaries in one directory makes things very easy to understand and
 |> setup.
 |>
 |> ciao
 |
 |It would be truly wonderfull if PD could adopt some sort of standard directory
 |scheme - currently I have externs, libraries, and documentation patches all
 |over the place, and my .pdrc is a mess.
 |
 |Incidently, I think the CVS build put my doc in /usr/local/lib/doc... and not
 |doc/...  as you say; although some makefiles have indeed put their example
 |patches in my home directory.
 |
 |Currently it looks like most of my stuff has gravitated to /usr/local/lib/pd.
 |In that directory I have  "bin", "doc", "externs", "extra", and "flext".
 |
 |It would really be nice if there were some sort of guidlelines in the PD
 |documentation (or maybe there are and I just haven't rebrowsed lately),.
 |
 |My way of working lately is to just hack the makefiles to put everything where
 |most of the PD stuff seems to already be :-)

this is basically a matter of getting a prefix parameter into the
install setup. pd itself handles this well with ./configure --prefix=...
i prefer /usr because of debian conventions and the other popular option
seems to be /usr/local. i think choice is the best option as opposed to
one standardized hardcoded path.

not many/all externals (like my own) do this though if they have a
configure script or install target at all so you have to edit the
makefile. could def. be improved.

--
i          x          Ð          V          .          0          7          6
GPG-key at http://xdv.org/~jdl/jdl.pub.asc