Directory structure [was: Re: [PD-dev] popup external]

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Sat Feb 21 17:46:34 CET 2004

Hey Frank,

I think there should certainly be a protocol for the organization of the
externals CVS. At first it seemed to make sens e to have everything at
one level deep, but this came from my putting externals in CVS early on
(too early?) I think there were only about 10 or so externals when I
commited the first version of chaos, and have just followed that pattern
since. I'm not sure if organization by author makes the most sense or
not. (chaos is co-written by me and Michale McGonagle for example) I can
imagine co-authorship might happen more often. For example "popup" is at
least 80% from GGEE's button, so I would (at least) consider Guenter a
co-author.

I'm really not sure the best organization, perhaps by types of externals?

control/
gui/
algo-generators/
?

I'm very happy of the prospect of august's autoconf system to be the
standard, I have no attachment to any of the build-systems of my
externals and would be happy to make everything autoconf, I just need an
easy to follow template.

Ben