[PD-dev] separating the debian package building

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 18 19:47:03 CET 2004

On Thursday, Mar 18, 2004, at 13:36 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Here's my idea:
>> Separate each package out into its own "debian" directory which will
>> compile only one package:
>> externals/debian
>> externals/cyclone/debian
>> externals/flext/debian
>> externals/footils/debian  (aka pd-flext-ext; this might to be renamed
>> pd-footils for this to work)
>
> Puh, I fought hard with Guenther to *not* name the package
> pd-footils which is how it was called once. ;) I'd see a pd-flext-ext
> package as a package of externals that depend on flext. This doesn't
> have to be just my externals, in fact, xsample, pool and such should
> go there as well. They then could build-depend on pd-flext.
>
>> externals/OSCx/debian
>
> What is the reason to not package OSC inside pd-externals? It doesn't
> depend on anything special, just std-C-headers, not even any of Pd's
> "private" headers.

I think this is mostly because its easiest to work along the lines of
the build system used.  Each debian package represents a different
build system.  It may not be pretty, but it makes building the packages
easier.  That's why I ended up doing the same thing with the MacOS X
installer.

.hc