[PD-dev] making the font size the same cross-platform

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 25 21:01:29 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Andy Schmeder wrote:

> The only problem is when you mix the two schemes (points / pixels), you
> get a disaster.

You don't have a choice but to mix the two schemes, because Pd patches are
specified in terms of pixel positions, and those pixel positions are sent
to the Pd canvas, and if the font size in points auto-adjusts, the boxes
may overlap, so a kind of scaling would have to be done, by a factor of
the point/pixel ratio, and then at that point it doesn't make a difference
whether you set the fonts in points or in pixels because you have code
doing the same conversion for all other elements.

> I can't even begin to describe just how evil pixel-based design is. I
> hope that the proliferation of SVG will begin to eliminate it.

... but the Pd GUI will remain Tcl/Tk for the foreseeable future. So, in
practice, Pd should be made to use Tcl/Tk in a better way. (however this
means a significant amount of rewrite...)