[PD-dev] making the font size the same cross-platform

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 25 22:16:11 CET 2004

On Thursday, Mar 25, 2004, at 12:12 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I have been working on a bunch of cross-platform patches and the
>> different font sizes of each platform is driving me nuts.  Anyone know
>> the root of this or have any suggestions as to how to fix it?
>
> The reason might be the different DPI conventions used on the various
> operating systems. I don't remember the exact figures, but the problem
> is the same if you do web design and has been discussed in this
> context to death. The general consensus in the design world is, to not
> use point-based or metric font sizes.

This sounds likely.  Based on my informal survey, GNU/Linux and MacOS X
are quite close in font size, with MacOS X being slightly larger, maybe
due to anti-aliasing.  But its not a big enough difference to cause big
problems for me. But on Windows, that same font size is really small.
If it is a DPI/point thing, maybe we could just fake the DPI number on
Windows to get it at least closer to the GNU/Linux and MacOS X font
sizes.  This would also help out a lot on the help pages.