[PD-dev] a few questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 9 22:43:55 CEST 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, 0001 wrote:

> >> is there a reason why t_tkcmd.c exists, instead of merging that code
> >> into u_main.tk and then running the command "wish u_main.tk" ?
> > Being able to run "wish u_main.tk" would actually be really helpful to
> > app to make a proper MacOS X .app.  So unless it breaks things, I am
> > for it.
> it would help to decouple the gui from the dsp code as well.
> no idea how far it is, but some day they should run separately right ?

What do you think I've been working on since over a month? Surely it ain't
just adding colours and bevels and fluff. ;-) I'm trying to turn Pd's GUI
into a Model/View kind of design, where the View part is all in the pd-gui
(TCL) process, so effectively that would make the GUI
rendering/event-handling in a different thread than the message/dsp
systems. The communication between the two parts would eventually become
rather minimal, instead of the current situation of having the TCL process
be a dumb, passive slave.