[PD-dev] a few questions

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat Apr 17 14:17:34 CEST 2004

> > but shouldn't we be able to solve this by _actively_ using
> > source-forge's feature request / bug tracking system?
>
> agreed. we first get the users to talk and _then_ we figure out who
> that is addressed to... else it's too much "bureaucracy" for the user.
it might add some bureaucracy, but it will be easier to follow, what
actually is going on ... that's not the case ATM ...

> Being able to merge some of my changes with future "stable" releases
> isn't a priority, from the moment people can access the Impd binaries.
> Of course it would be nice if the devel branch would merge some of my
> changes, but I'm not waiting for that because I could be waiting till
> 2006 and then it would slow me down on many of my changes.
what are your plans for impd? i mean, do you plan a second branch
independant from miller's / devel starting with 0.37 or will you try to
create a patchset from your changes that will more or less apply to
miller's future stable releases?

> To me, patience is a virtue when it actually helps, not when it
> hinders; maybe some devel folks would like to get my features for
> free, so my patience would actually help them, but my IMpatience would
> help pretty much everyone else instead, so... the choice is easy to
> do.
*g* ...
but on the other hand if the developers have the patience to talk to
each other once about what way pd should go, set up a todo list and
distribute the tasks on several developers, we might get pd to
1. develop faster (although there is a small overhead at the beginning)
2. find bugs earlier
3. avoid forks that are difficult / impossible to merge again
4. ???

as hans-christoph pointed out ... right now it worked pretty well with
what he called coordinated disorganization ... but organizing it a bit
more would probably make the developement of pd much easier and
efficient ...

maybe we should change the intention of the branches ... take the devel
branch as stable branch with only X-P changes / patches, and impd as
developing / unstable branch that might not be usable until it becomes
stable and miller's as release branch ...

> > just my 2.5 ¢ ... cheers...
>
> oh my. that's after the inflation indexing? or is that after tax?
> times are a-changing...
exchange rate - euro / dollar ;-)

cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,