[PD-dev] Making Wish launch Pd rather than pd launch wish

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 14 07:15:38 CEST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Miller Puckette wrote:

> 1.  pd now writes "printout" to standard error; this would have to be
> sent to the TK layer and displayed there.

This feature is part of IMPD 0.37.A, which is rather bug-free -- it's the
version i "released" (tagged) just before beginning to go berserk.

> I don't know how to do this in the most efficient possible way; maybe
> it's OK just to display a "text" widget and keep stuffing text into
> it.

IMPD 0.37.A requires the console to be enabled using the -console option,
to which a scrollback length (number of lines) must be given. That value
can be changed at runtime by setting the $cmdline(console) global variable
from the Tcl eval-box.

> 2. Sometimes one will still want to run it from Pd; for instance, if
> no GUI is desired at all; 3.  Someday there should be a way to open a
> Pd patch from a web browser. This shouldn't start up a whole new pd
> process but connect with an existing one, if one exists.  I'm not sure
> how this should play out: whether the TK layer should handle this or
> the pd layer.

I agree with this; I think having eitherone start the other, or the
two started separately, should be three options available to the
user; they all are useful, in different circumstances.

BTW, do you think PD's GUI architecture is appropriate as it is now for
using over a wide-are network? I don't have the impression, but I didn't
have the occasion to try Pd remotely, say, from some computer in Japan...
or even in Ontario...