[PD-dev] finding the centroid of a sound

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 27 22:19:41 CEST 2004

Mark Kenny wrote:
> Hello all,

> Is there any object in PD that can supply real, imaginary and bin index
> on the fly like with the fftin~ object in MAX/MSP??

excuse my ignorance, but isn't the index of the fft-bin inherent in the
output-list of bins ?
there is a [rfft~] object which produces 2 (signal-)vectors (real and
imaginary part) of constant length (number of bins)
you can do whatever you want entirely in signal-domain (your friends
will probably be [tabsend~] & [+~]) or you can transfer it into
message-domain.
there are those very useful (;-)) objects [pack~] and [unpack~] in the
zexy library which convert a signal vector into a list of floats and
back again.

<flame>
i always thought the fft is the really neglected part within msp, and
while pd has a lot of drawbacks compared to max, frequency-domain is
really superior here.
</flame>

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes