[PD-dev] re: branch convergence

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Oct 22 15:50:54 CEST 2004

> 1: do away with numbering, and just have a 'devel'. every month or so,
> make sure it compiles on all 3 platforms and dump into MAIN..theres
> few enough developers and i dont think theyre stepping on toes and
> generally work on difft things..
i don't approve with your opinion ... if miller solved something and
other guys solved something ... e.g. yves threaded gui vs. miller's
improved gui ...
which to take? since pd is miller's project, we should try to follow his
branch in the devel branch ...
at the pd-conf i did a diff between devel_0_37 and 0.37-2 ... there is
not so many stuff, that has changed there ... but looking at the diff, i
found a few thinks, that are not needed any more (e.g. console stuff
added by matju) ...

> 2: keep numbering, but devel_0_56
> becomes devel_0_57, so the 'little guy's stuff isnt lost, and so he
> doesnt have to bug miller or guenter or whoever and possibly paste a
> bunch of stuff in again and get grey hairs..
... so merging the devel changes to the new msp branch is a better
approach ... since the changes will be reviewed from time to time ... by
guenter, by me, by miller or whoever does the merge ...

> 3: crazy all-night
> frankenstein hack/merge fest with version # change that might lose
> features and add new bugs..
... and review code ... maybe find bugs in devel_x_xx's additions that
haven't been found before ...

tim (approves with guenter, although having to learn a lot about cvs
and diff)

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk