[PD-dev] re: branch convergence (fwd)

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 26 04:45:31 CEST 2004

ydegoyon at free.fr wrote:

> hi, matthieu,
> >  * switched to a jmaxish look
> this, we all told you 'no go'! !

Imitating your style of bringing personal mails to the pd mailing lists,
here am I, replying to you.

FYI, the jMax look will require a commandline option (pd -modelview) to
enable the new GUI code, and even then, the look is configurable, so you
can set the colours you want as well as some other details. (and in Graz,
I all showed you how ridiculously easy it is to change the color scheme in
ImpureData!)

> think the graz t-shirts are all in pure
> 'pd aesthetics' style and they are cool )

My aesthetics aren't the jMax aesthetics. They are the mechanism/policy
separation aesthetics and the model/view separation aesthetics. Those
things I bring in will make it easier for you to make a version of Pd that
uses NCurses instead of Tk... if you want to. Or to have easy-to-maintain
Catalan translations of Pd menus and dialogs. Or ... (so on).

The jMax look is a very secondary feature, and I won't force it over any
people, and I won't even force it on those who will want to use "pd
-modelview" !